15 August 2004

Dark City

Watched Dark City for a second time, having seen it the first time on a CRT TV when the film first appeared on home video. It seemed a worthwhile test of whether: 1) It was as disappointing (only because it could have been so good) as I recalled, and 2) If I have better black levels on my current home setup. The verdict: 1) Yes. It would have been helped if the secrects were revealed later (final third of movie). But in the end it may be the most promising premise and execution that was ever entirely sidetracked by the protagonists horrid hairstyle. I know I'm not alone in noting the hair: I mentioned it to Dannette, who hadn't see the film in years, and she knew exactly what I was talking about -- "Oh you mean the bouffant?" 2) Nearly. I suspect I've solved things as well as possible with the tools I have (gray screen, ND filter) other than making the room "light tight". That logical next step may occur, or may be subsumed under the heading of Another Reason to Move.