15 August 2004

Zatoichi, Predator, The Dreamers

Never having been a Samurai aficionado, I've arrived late at the genre and will probably never shake the kind of ethnographical relationship to it that I feel towards the Western. At times I am compelled and become involved, but quite often I am removed. Zatoichi is probably an excellent addition to the genre. And the Kitano quirkiness certainly pleases. I could have enjoyed more song-and-dance numbers, rhythmic hoeing and hammering, and other 'Beat' touches. For years it has seemed like Predator should be something I had seen. For some reason it has been till now that I have waited to see it. Alas, though the final confrontation built to some level of tension and excitement, all those involved have done better work -- whether the director with Die Hard or the actor with his roles in politics. The Dreamers looked interesting for mostly prurient reasons. That aspect was limited, but there was some charm in seeing an homage to a genre that was itself built on homage. Too bad that was limited, too.